IT Senior Engineer, Senior Windows Systems Engineer
Position title: IT Senior Engineer, Senior Windows Systems Engineer
Position #: 126105
The University of Maryland Division of Information Technology (DIT) is seeking a Senior Windows Systems Engineer to join our Platform Services team. The primary purpose of this position is to deploy, maintain, enhance, and troubleshoot system, services, configurations, roles, and core applications deployed within the Division of Information Technology’s Active Directory infrastructure. Responsibilities include performing systems planning and development of new features; proactive management of the environments as well as the forecasting of capacity needs; assisting with the deployment of new applications and services for the campus; working with campus units to migrate from their Active Directory deployments to a centralized Active Directory infrastructure; and play a key role in optimizing IT services using automation and products within Microsoft’s System Center Suite. This individual must be a forward thinker who can proactively plan, multitask, troubleshoot, and possesses excellent organizational and communication skills.
The incumbent will also monitor system performance, investigate problems, interact with vendors, and serve as technical expert and ambassador of Microsoft technology for the campus. The position has a 24×7 support requirement, so the incumbent must be willing, able, and available to participate in a regular on-call rotation, work a flexible schedule, and respond to out-of-band emergencies when the need arises.
* Create, maintain and decommission servers running Windows Server 2022 and 2019 in on-premises and cloud environments.
* Hands-on deployment of new applications and services within virtualized and cloud computing environments as well as providing tier II/III incident support.
* Develop increasing expertise in key technologies, focusing on automation within cloud environments.
* Interact directly with University staff to gather technical and business requirements, develop and implement solutions.
* Manage technologies in an enterprise environment with a drive for understanding customer needs and operational excellence.
* Communicate with vendors for upgrades and troubleshooting issues with software.
* Training and demonstration of product features and operation to non-technical customers.
* Document all platform service processes and procedures and maintain the artifacts in a document repository.
* Participate in disaster recovery (DR) planning and execution in support of customer requirements.
* Automate repetitive tasks where possible to improve service delivery and reduce operational overhead.
* Collaborate with the Security team to identify and remediate application and operating system vulnerabilities.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience. Additional work experience as defined above may be substituted on a year for year basis for up to four (4) years of the required education.
* Six (6) years of professional experience implementing and managing enterprise solutions.
* Minimum of 6 years of Microsoft systems administration, configuration and troubleshooting, with 3 years in an engineering role
* Proven technology expertise in designing, deploying, maintaining, troubleshooting, and securing services (LDAP, DNS, DHCP, Site Replication, etc.) in a highly available multi-site Active Directory infrastructure within a large enterprise
* Experience configuring and supporting high availability and disaster recovery scenarios for domain controllers and Active Directory services
* Experience deploying, integrating, configuring, and securing Microsoft Windows Servers 2016/2019/2022 and Windows 11 in Active Directory and standalone environments as well as hybrid environments (on-prem and cloud based)
* Experience using Client Management Tools for patching, updating and vulnerability remediation of Windows servers in an enterprise environment
* Experience automating repeatable processes using PowerShell
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities
* Experience performing systems planning and development to include new features in the Windows server operating system as well as the ability to deploy new applications and services
* Effective written and verbal communication skills. Must assist, guide, and share information with technical and non-technical personnel
* Must be able to work well with others in a cooperative work environment
* Strong customer service orientation and presentation skills.
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
* Proven technology expertise in more than one relevant core area such as, Azure Active Directory, Microsoft SQL 2016 or newer, AlwaysOn Availability, IIS, scripting, Splunk, monitoring tools, Orchestrator
* Experience creating and maintaining infrastructure using public cloud services, specifically AWS or Azure using at least one of these tools: CloudFormation, Gitlab, Puppet, Terraform
* Experience creating, administering and troubleshooting Group Policies
* VMware experience
* Working knowledge of COTS applications
* MS Certifications – MCSE: Core Infrastructure, MCSA Windows Server 2012/2016 or MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate
* Understanding of a higher education environment.
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle;
* Flexible work opportunities;
* UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness;
* Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being;
* Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals;
Salary range: $125,000 – $140,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: Predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 5%) requires moving and lifting of server equipment. Some evening and weekend work might be required.
Best consideration date: 09/11/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.