Computer Support Specialist
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
WESTERN DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON
COMPUTER SUPPORT SPECIALIST
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER 23-WAW-28
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE May 23, 2023
Open until filled; preference given to resumes received by June 11, 2023
The U.S. District Court and U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services for the Western District of Washington is seeking a Computer Support Specialist. The ideal candidate for this position is a team player with a growth mindset and exceptional customer service skills. They must be organized, able to multi-task, and remain calm and professional under pressure. This person will be one of the four team members responsible for the day-to-day helpdesk tasks, as well as technical project coordination and implementation.
This position is primarily located at the federal courthouse in Seattle, Washington, with some travel to the Tacoma Courthouse as well as our U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services divisional offices in Everett, Tukwila, and Vancouver, Washington as needed.
• Serve as a working member of the Computer Support Specialist team, providing on-site staffing in Seattle and Tacoma during designated helpdesk hours.
• Assist court employees by providing thoughtful, innovative solutions to technical issues. • Provide advanced support for video and web conferencing platforms, such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom for court proceedings, meetings, and large events.
• Provide setup and support of video conferences using the court’s remote management tools and in-person support. • Provide assistance and troubleshooting for courtroom audio and evidence presentation systems. • Provide technical and operational support for Microsoft 365 products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and SharePoint.
• Provide advanced support for Adobe Acrobat including integration with M365 applications, SharePoint, and Internet browsers.
• Coordinate and adhere to administrative processes of the helpdesk, such as purchasing supplies, managing license renewals, reviewing and updating compliance documents, coordinating procurement and receipt of equipment, posting SharePoint announcements, etc.
• Provide end user training, including creating training materials.
• Support the court’s mobile technology environment, using MDM software; assist in the monthly reconciliation of invoices, device inventory, and usage.
• Support the court’s inventory and cyclical replacement programs, including physical inventory management and ensuring accuracy of the inventory database.
• Provide support to court users with image editing and distribution.
• Troubleshoot problems with the operation, performance and / or functionality of desktop application software and hardware. • Provide on-call assistance for situations such as extraordinary court proceedings, major network incidents (planned or unplanned) and any special projects.
Candidates must have an associate degree or higher, and at least three years progressively responsible experience supporting technology of 200 or more users. Combination of a Microsoft Certification and CompTIA A+ certification may serve as a suitable replacement for an associate degree.
The successful candidate will also possess:
• Ability to manage multiple workload demands with frequent interruptions;
• Ability to function collaboratively within a team and the larger office;
• Ability to take initiative and work without direct supervision;
• Ability and desire to learn and expand technical skills;
• Ability to communicate information in an accurate, timely, and professional manner;
• Accuracy and attention to detail;
• Ability to exercise sound independent judgment;
• Strong computer and analytical skills;
• Excellent customer service skills;
• High level of professionalism;
• Ability to work well under stress;
•An attendance record that indicates reliability and commitment;
• Previous help desk experience;
• Previous court or law office experience;
• A bachelor’s degree
Court Personnel System Classification Level:
CL26, Step 1 – 61, $53,200 - $86,527
CL27, Step 1 – 61, $58,474 - $95,034
Depending on experience and qualifications; additional promotional potential without further recruitment.
The District Court offers a generous benefit package, including transit passes, participation in a defined benefit pension plan (the Federal Employees Retirement System), Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401K), health and life insurance benefits, flexible spending accounts, long term care options, annual and sick leave accrual, and ten paid holidays per year. Judiciary employees are not covered by the Executive Branch civil service classification system or regulations. For additional information on employment with the federal courts, please visit www.uscourts.gov.
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Qualified applicants should submit the following:
• Cover letter
• Response to the statement of qualifications, below
• Completed AO78 Form (Application for employment). - * For this vacancy announcement (23-WAW-28), you do not need to complete the optional background information – questions 18, 19, and 20.
Attachments should be submitted as Microsoft Word (DOCX) or Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files. Other formats are not acceptable. Applications will be considered complete when all required attachments, in the appropriate format, are received by the Human Resources. Application materials can be submitted via e-mail to: email@example.com noting vacancy vacancy #23-WAW-28 in the subject line.
STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
The statement of qualifications must be 12-point font, single-spaced, minimum one-inch margins, and no more than three pages. Please provide specific examples addressing the following areas.
1. Describe your current role and functions as it relates to this position.
2. Provide two or three qualifications and skills you posses that would help you excel in this position.
3. Describe your ability as a team player.
4. What motivates you to work in information technology?
Only qualified applicants will be considered for this position. Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible to work in the United States. Employees of the United States District Court are considered “at will” employees. Applicants selected for interviews must travel at their own expense.
The United States District Court requires employees to follow a code of conduct which is available upon request. Reference checks with current and former employers will be conducted on top candidates. A background investigation with law enforcement agencies, including fingerprint and criminal record checks, will be conducted as a condition of employment. Any applicant selected for a position will be hired provisionally pending successful completion of the investigation. Unsatisfactory results may result in termination of employment.
The Federal Financial Management Reform Act requires direct deposit of federal wages.
The United States District Court for the Western District of Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals and seek a diverse pool of applicants in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, disability, religion, and socio-economic circumstance.
The Court provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please notify human resources. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be made on a case by case basis.
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, to withdraw the announcement, or to fill the position sooner than the closing date, any of which may occur without prior written or other notice. In the event that a position becomes vacant in a similar classification, within a reasonable time from the original announcement, management may elect to select a candidate from the applicants who responded to the original announcement without posting the position. More than one position may be filled from this announcement.
The United States District Court is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the work place.