IT Analyst III
Position Title: IT Analyst III (Non-uniformed)
Department: Planning & Analysis / IT
Salary Range: $86,200 to $116,400 annually. Salaries are paid biweekly.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
FLSA/Career Status: Exempt/Classified
Work Schedule: 40-hour work week/Times of workday vary, and on-call is required
Review and Screening of Application/Resume
Written Exercise(s) & Screening as applicable
Additional Documentation (when requested)
Background Investigation – acceptable/unacceptable
Drug Screen – acceptable/unacceptable
Poudre Fire Authority (PFA) is a multi-faceted, innovative, all-hazards response agency. We are an organization, a family, and a community partner anchored in the guiding principle of “Service above Self”.
If you are interested in joining a team where character, doing the right thing, and acting courageously with empathy, accountability, and respect matter, please apply. This is an outstanding opportunity to serve the community. We are excited to see your application and learn more about you!
Directs and coordinates enterprise-wide systems, data communications and operating systems for the Poudre Fire Authority. This individual is responsible for the maintenance and support of critical server, storage and backup systems. This position will report to the IT Manager and will work with numerous other technology professionals in support of PFA's overall technology portfolio. This position is responsible to provide critical technical services and to be available after-hours to respond to technical issues. This position also performs project management for a variety of departmental hardware and software functions. This self-motivated individual can work in a team as well as independently to support a large, complex, high-availability (24/7) environment consisting of hundreds of machines, multiple operating systems, and dozens of services. Day-to-day duties will cover all aspects of web, database, and application server lifecycles including: installing new hardware, software and operating systems, support of existing servers and platforms, effective security practices, performance monitoring and tuning, troubleshooting, and retirement or upgrade of older hardware and platforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Knowledge of and adherence to PFA Core Values, Mission & Vision.
- Provide exceptional, responsive and visionary customer service.
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance, such as general operating system tasks, application loads, disk utilization/maintenance, server/workstation deployments and resolves network issues.
- Works independently and with other administrators/networking staff to maintain complex data systems.
- Establishes and maintains network users, user environments, directories, and security.
- Coordinates and controls network user accounts concerning their access to resources on the network and the operation of various software programs.
- Remains up to date with changes in user and system software and hardware requirements.
- Regularly evaluates computer system capabilities to determine whether changes are necessary and/or feasible.
- Maintains PFA standards and organizational groups, plans and recommends upgrades, expansion and/or modifications to operating systems, hardware and software.
- Provides overall system security.
- Architect, implement, and maintain assigned systems running a variety of operating systems primarily running Windows operating systems, but to also include VMware and Linux.
- Architect, implement, and maintain virtualized servers and storage environments, and a virtual desktop/terminal server infrastructure.
- Maintain and support enterprise backup software and systems to ensure reliability, safety, and security of PFA systems and data.
- Proven experience and success with LAN, WAN, WLAN, and WWAN design and implementation.
- Prepare and evaluate bid proposals, specifications, and contracts.
- Manage ongoing vendor contacts/contracts for needed hardware, software, and services.
- Develop technical platform specifications and budgetary projections to support long-term priorities, goals, and needs of the Poudre Fire Authority.
- Detect, isolate, document, report, and resolve systems outages and/or problems on mission critical machines, which may include the full scope of system disaster recovery.
- Performs project management and oversight for the implementation of specialized programs and applications.
- Trains and educates users on a variety of applications, products, and services.
- Coordinate and deliver projects on schedule and within prescribed project budget.
- Coordinates regularly with managers, users, and advisory committees regarding all computer system applications.
- Research and plans the strategic integration of new technologies and application development with existing and emerging organizational business needs
- Provide needed support in this high-availability (24/7) emergency services environment.
- Responds to the needs and questions of all users.
- Coordinates and participates in projects and use of system applications with partner agencies.
- Responsible for responding to after-hours system problems.
- May consult with other agencies on the development and use of system applications.
- Participates in IT user group meetings and as a project development liaison.
- Develops, documents and implements policies and procedures for computer use & operations.
- Oversees the work of assigned staff.
- Provide technical support (software, hardware, and network), including end-user support and guidance to co-workers on technology issues and projects.
- Provide orientation and training to new employees, volunteers, and end-users for all current, modified and new systems.
This position is not responsible for the supervision of regular Poudre Fire Authority employees but may oversee the work of assigned IT staff.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the necessary functions of this job.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Proficient in the installation, use, and support of Windows-based applications. This also includes specialized department-related programs and hardware.
- Prefer KSAs in areas such as CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) and MDTs (Mobile Data Terminals).
- Proficient and knowledgeable in the use, deployment, and maintenance of Microsoft 365 including SharePoint Online, OneDrive, and Teams.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in the use of HTML, C#, PowerShell, scripting, and a variety of web development tools.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience of the practices and principles of project management sufficient to the successful completion of projects involving multiple participants.
- Ability to organize and present technical information to users concerning applications, and to convey training information clearly and effectively to non-technical users and technical staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Knowledge in the provisioning, deployment, support, and maintenance of servers in an organization using various operating systems, such as Windows, VMware and Linux.
- Knowledge in the provisioning, deployment, support, and maintenance of workstations and IT appliances in a large organization.
- Knowledge of databases, database concepts and management, system design and report development.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience installing, configuring and supporting a wide variety of client and server-based applications in a complex multi-user environment.
- Knowledge in configuring domain information utilities and protocols, such as Active Directory, WSUS, LDAP, FTP, HTTP, SSL, Telnet, SMTP, DHCP, WINS, and DNS.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain system-wide group policies.
- Knowledge in the administration and deployment of operating system patches and application upgrades.
- Knowledge of operating system concepts such as inter-process communication, devices, and device drivers.
- Knowledge in the deployment and maintenance Hyper-V enterprise virtualization features.
- Knowledge in the deployment and support of Storage Area Network (SAN) technologies.
- Knowledge in the deployment and support of wireless and wired networking technologies.
- Knowledge in the deployment and support of enterprise backup and recovery strategies and software.
- Knowledge of virtual desktop infrastructure.
- Ability to design and use server/workstation imaging solutions and enterprise-wide AntiVirus/Anti-Malware packages.
- Knowledge of networking concepts including routing, subnets and firewalls.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical documents related to this environment.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, co-workers, managers and vendors.
- Ability to create and implement system standards / guidelines, and to adopt industry standards.
- Ability to effectively function in a fast-paced, mission critical public safety environment.
- Ability to separate complex problems into individual components, systematically eliminating possible causes until a resolution is discovered.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science or related field from an accredited college or university. Six or more years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Local government experience is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulation. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, mathematical, or diagram form and to deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables. Ability to draw conclusions based on limited information when the resolution is not immediately obvious.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
A valid driver’s license is required to meet the needs of this position. Industry certifications such as ITIL, Comptia Network+/Security+, and MCITP are preferred, but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Includes excellent benefits, see the PFA Classified Civilian Personnel Benefits Summary 2022 link on the official Poudre Fire Authority's job posting, click the Apply button in this job posting to go to our official website.