SR. IT NETWORK SPECIALIST
City Of Ukiah Ukiah, CA Full-time Information Services / Technology (IT)
Posted on March 4, 2023
These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed in positions allocated to this class. The examples of work performed are neither restricted to nor all-encompassing of the duties to be performed under this job title.
- Lead the network team and supervise its work product. Assign work regarding network and associated infrastructure projects.
- Lead and oversee installation, configuration, and maintenance of the City’s network, wide area network, cloud network technologies (Azure, AWS) etc., file servers, e-mail server, application servers, and print servers.
- Assist escalation of issues from team in the configuration, install or maintenance of City desktop computer equipment and software applications.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software applications.
- Update hardware and software as directed.
- Lead and assign coordinating integration of new systems and applications into existing systems and networks.
- Assist in team building and mentoring of direct support staff and training to users as needed.
- Lead and ensure successful backup and restoration of information systems critical data.
- Lead in administration of system security, institute periodic security checks; perform audits of system logs for conformity to City policy.
- Administer user access as directed by supervisors or authorized personnel.
- Troubleshoot telephone and equipment issues and coordinate repairs, as needed.
- Coordinate and participate with other City departments and agencies on technology projects as required.
- Attend and make presentations to the City Council, as required.
- Participate in emergency callout and after-hours support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Application and implementation of information system technologies, cloud services, cloud server migration and enterprise storage solutions.
- Application and administration of SharePoint, Microsoft Office 365, cloud networking tools and technologies.
- Application and administration of network and computer security practices, PowerShell scripting language and firewall/VPN infrastructure.
- Application and administration of Networking, LANs & WANs, Midrange Systems Servers, Point-Multipoint Wireless Systems, PCs and Printers.
- Application and administration of Windows 10 systems along with Windows Server 2008 r2, 2012 r2, 2016, 2019 and Cisco IOS, Meraki & Ubiquiti products.
- Management and administration of Active Directory, Group Policy, TCP/IP, Routers and Firewalls.
- Word processing, Spreadsheets.
- Capabilities, limitations, characteristics, and uses of computer and records information systems.
- Practices and procedures of repairing microcomputers, computer networks, peripheral devices, cabling, and telecommunications equipment and wireless infrastructure.
- Enterprise and Managed Service Provider (MSP) services supporting other agencies and companies.
- Applicable local, State, and Federal technology regulations.
- Hazards and generally accepted safety standards.
- City ordinances and administrative rules and regulations affecting departmental operations and personnel matters.
- Perform as senior lead role for the network team of an IT department.
- Install and maintain technical and complex programs.
- Read, interpret, and apply complex technical publications, manuals, and related documents.
- Document procedures, technology and network configurations.
- Train individuals or groups in using computer system hardware and software in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate technical personnel.
- Set up, troubleshoot, and perform routine maintenance on computer systems, managed switches, routers & firewalls.
- Effectively work with staff members of all computer skill levels.
- Lead, organize and perform own and others’ work effectively and efficiently.
- Understand the organization and operation of the City, and of outside agencies as necessary.
- Lead and coordinate work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Troubleshoot and maintain network infrastructure systems.
- Sit and work on computer systems for long periods of time.
- Work flexible hours, which may include evenings and/or weekends.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five years in a management and/or team leadership role.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or the direct equivalent experience.
- Five years of experience with operating system and application software, personal computers, local area networks, wide area networks, servers, laptops, LCD projectors, printers, routers, switches, small tools, and standard office equipment.
- Five years of work experience in network support, training or analysis of managed switches, routers and firewalls.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of a valid California Class C driver license.
- Possession of MCSE, MCSA CCNA Certification preferred.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Lift moderately heavy computer equipment up to 50 pounds routinely.
- Ability to use small hand tools, including those battery/electrically operated, requiring manual dexterity.
- Sound and visual perception and discrimination.
- Tasks are occasionally performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions.