IT Applications Manager
IT Applications Manager
Salary $64.83 - $75.00 Hourly
Location Seattle, WA
Job Type Civil Service Exempt, Regular, Full-time
Department Seattle Information Technology
Job Number 2022-00895
Do you enjoy partnering with others to solve business challenges with innovative technology solutions? Are you passionate about delivering solutions that exceed client expectations and generate business value? Are you a strong leader with a love of technology, an obsession with continuous improvement, and a talent for motivating, growing, and developing others? If your answer is yes, then this opportunity is for you!
The City of Seattle's Information Technology (IT) department is seeking a forward-thinking, technical leader who inspires the best in others. If you have a proven ability to lead high performing teams and are ready to help take our Applications Division to the next level, please apply!
Seattle IT Overview
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the city of Seattle’s complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of an IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies that enable the City to deliver equitable and responsive services to the public.
Position Overview and Description
The Applications Division is seeking candidates for the position of IT Applications Manager to establish direction and grow the Enterprise Content Management (ECM) platform and the associated system integrations. This position will also be responsible for leading a technical team of developers and business systems analysts.
This role will collaborate with City departments and other teams in IT to support enterprise and department-specific instances of the ECM platform, interfaces, databases, and infrastructure. This role will create a long-term platform and governance strategies and drive them to fruition by orchestrating the achievement of near-term objectives.
Successful candidates will have strong leadership abilities, a technical background, have excellent problem solving and communication skills, and the ability to think strategically long-term. You should not only be passionate about delivering leading-edge IT solutions but should also be obsessed with continuous improvement, contributing to the development of high-performing teams and individuals, and possess a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Create the application roadmap and manage the application lifecycle activities for strategic implementations of the ECM platform in partnership with the Security and Infrastructure Division, IT Directors, and City departments.
- Work collaboratively throughout the organization on the execution of the vision, strategy, and roadmap for ECM to ensure success as well the adherence to risk, compliance, information security, and privacy requirements.
- Work collaboratively with Project Delivery and clients to ensure the application roadmap, strategic objectives, and priorities are reflective of technical and client needs and lead to cost effective service delivery.
- Manage a technical team of application developers and business systems analysts.
- Build and develop a cross functional team responsible for product development and support initiatives that are innovative, adaptable, responsive, and agile.
- Lead, inspire, manage, and motivate a team of technical staff. Develop and grow their soft and technical skills through coaching, training, and professional development plans.
- Assist with translating business goals, feature concepts, vendor solutions and customer needs into comprehensive requirements and compelling business plans.
- Negotiate and manage vendor software, service, and consulting contracts and partnerships that support Applications’ technology to ensure scope and quality objectives are met.
- Manage technical activities to meet expected service levels.
- Manage scope, resources, timelines, expectations, and deliverables to deliver quality and balanced products on time and on budget.
- Collaborate with other system leads and managers in change management activities.
- Own and manage major system incidents and events.
- Articulate and drive resolution to issues and foster communication in all directions. Adeptly deliver tough messages in a way the builds partnerships and inspires action.
- Define and analyze comprehensive metrics to measure and monitor performance, determine the success of ECM products and features post implementation, quantify the benefits and return on investments, and inform ongoing strategic planning.
- Manage communication at all levels of leadership regarding product goals and progress to goals.
- Constantly evaluate and improve the tools and processes used to effectively deliver products and services more rapidly and cost effectively.
- Play a key leadership role within the Applications Division to develop and execute a strategy that meets business objectives and enables critical decision making.
- Other duties as assigned.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or a closely related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in progressively responsible technology roles.
- 3+ years’ experience directly supervising technical staff such as developers, business systems analysts, QA testers, etc.
- 3+ years’ experience engaging with all levels of management including senior level executives.
- Demonstrated strong vendor management skills.
- Proven leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Detailed knowledge of project management, application development and support methodologies, and application life cycle management.
- Demonstrated experience with Waterfall, Agile and Iterative development.
- Experience with enterprise applications, COTS, SaaS solutions and complex systems integrations.
- Experience creating strong working relationships with customers, peers, and technology teams across all levels of the organization.
Skills and Abilities:
- Possess a high degree of emotional intelligence and understand the importance of empathy, building relationships, and teamwork.
- Ability to produce high quality deliverables while maintaining schedule commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to drive a body of work to completion independently and as part of a project team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in order to convey technical information to non-technical staff or customers; commitment to excellent customer service; outstanding customer relationship skills.
- Proven ability to proactively solve problems and recommend solutions. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Process orientation with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to deal with demanding pace and changing priorities and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, use good judgment and discretion, and interact with diverse workforce within the City and customer base.
- 7+ years’ experience in progressively responsible technology roles.
- Experience or familiarity with Oracle Web Center suite of products including APEX, Capture, Verifier and WFR.
- Ability to build trust and engagement with executives, customers, peers and team.
- Ability to spot opportunities, seize them, and learn.
- Experience with managed services contracts and Service Level Agreements.
- Government/public sector experience.
An updated resume and cover letter describing your skills and experience, in relation to this position must be uploaded as a part of your application package. An incomplete application package may not be considered. Please apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/.
These positions are open until filled. The initial review of applications will take place for those submitted by 4:00pm Tuesday, May 17, 2022. Resumes will be under continuous review thereafter.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle – Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader) for more information.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation):
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic this team is working remotely. This is subject to change as circumstances dictate.
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of the job offer.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17.
This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. Accommodations for people with disabilities are provided on request.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104