Business Systems Analyst, (ITP-B, BU)
Business Systems Analyst, (ITP-B, BU)
Salary: $45.44 - $68.20 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2023-00439
Language Premium: No
As a city, Seattle is known as a dynamic leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice among other things, making our city what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization’s workforce plays a meaningful role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies enabling the City of Seattle to deliver equitable and responsive services to the residents of Seattle. This purpose statement is a simple declaration of who we are and why we do our work. It is intended to be a guide that helps us to not lose sight of why we perform everyday tasks or to invest effort to tackle difficult problems. It emphasizes that our existence as a department is to support our City partners. It reminds us that we are part of a larger organization that collectively is working towards improving the lives of the residents of our city. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. We hope you’ll join us!
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for the Business Systems Analyst (BSA) opening with the Applications Division in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT).
In this position you will use your strong analytical skills to deliver the best options' analysis to our valued customers. You will work with a strong software development team that is self-organized and self-empowered. This is a business-facing and technology-facing role, requiring superb communication and organizational skills to create alignment among multiple departments. At Seattle IT, we value self-care, family, and work, in that order.
As a Business Systems Analyst you will join the HR & Finance Applications team within the Applications Division. This team supports the Citywide Contract Management System and the Citywide Construction Contract Management applications, both critical business applications used by multiple departments for document and contracts management.
You will work with business staff to seek opportunities for system improvements, assessing work requests, investigating, and detailing business requirements, resolving configuration and design solutions, seeing changes through to a successful implementation, and solving issues in a production environment.
Here's more of what you'll be doing:
- Listening carefully to and ask clarifying questions about business requests, translating those into business process requirements and system design.
- Analyzing complex system issues to identify the root causes, proposing comprehensive solutions consistent with program-level system design standards, and assisting with implementation of changes.
- Reviewing legislative language to identify potential impacts to business processes and resolve scope of system design changes required to meet new mandates.
- Quickly learning a system's capabilities and configuration options and devising creative solutions for business needs within that framework.
- Creating and updating software specifications; ensuring that system documentation libraries are kept up to date and well organized.
- Configuring software using standard software configuration tools.
- Supporting creation of test materials, and assisting test team in resolving problems, working with software vendors when appropriate.
- Identifying, documenting, and resolving issues, advancing when appropriate.
- Following established project or departmental review and approval processes and standards for all work.
- Supporting department goals in promoting diversity, race, and social justice.
- This position requires occasional non-standard working hours.
- Five years in-depth experience as a business systems analyst, or a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the position duties.
- Experience implementing off-the-shelf business applications, including gap-fit analyses, capabilities assessments, design, configuration, and testing.
- Experience in working with vendors providing support for COTS applications.
- Analytical demeanor seeking to know more to help business think of the bigger picture.
- Good communication and active listening skills; with the ability to communicate with both technical and business staff.
- Strong knowledge of database structures and tools (such as SQL, Oracle, MS Access, etc.), including the ability to design and complete queries.
- Familiarity with Software Development Life Cycle methodologies and templates.
- Experience developing .NET applications.
- Ability to lead the scope of work as it pertains to areas of responsibility and keep the project manager advised of changes and impact to assigned projects.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining appropriate communications with supervisor about progress and issues.
- Ability to manage time well to meet project landmarks.
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer technology or equivalent field or experience.
- Experience with reporting tools (SSRS, Crystal Reports etc.).
- Experience working with contracting processes.
- Experience leading small IT projects with staff resources from a variety of IT specialties.
- Familiarity with contracting software such as Masterworks or Unifier.
- Ability to see beyond the assumed issue to identify and find solutions for underlying business goals.
Why work at the City of Seattle
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our views and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in the Race and Social Justice Initiative by working to dismantle racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and provide equitable processes and services.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans.
Application Process: For optimal consideration, we encourage you to include a cover letter and resume with your application. We encourage you to use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work. Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/. If you have any questions, please contact Alfreda Wilson at Alfreda.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation): This position offers the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. At this time, hybrid telework schedules have a minimum requirement of two days onsite per week. Individual schedules will be based on operational needs and agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who may apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values different viewpoints and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The City encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience.
Unions NOTE: This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77. For information explore Local 77’s website.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104